Sunday, December 20, 2009

Race #2 - skiing better, shooting not so much

Today was a pursuit format race. Once again, my shooting was subpar. Today I felt better skiing, especially as the race went on. I'm not sure what's going on with my shooting, especially prone, the shots feel pretty good, the targets just aren't going down. If I were to guess, I would say that trying to keep up with the world class skiers that are out here is putting me a little closer to the red zone than I can reasonably recover from and I'm not relaxed enough when shooting. Or maybe I'm thinking too much, ironic that a former catcher who spent the better part of his baseball career telling idiot pitchers to stop thinking and just pitch, would suggest that, but it's a significant possibility. Either that, or I'm just not shooting straight (one of those things).

Oh yeah, and both Jason and I skied an extra penalty loop today. I remember thinking that I may have done that on my last shooting stage. I just started cranking out laps and trying to figure out how I missed so many, and wasn't sure if I'd done 2 or 3, apparently it was 3, instead I skied an extra just for good measure, so that didn't help at all. In total I skied about 2km more than the race winner today (who had 1 penalty).

Tomorrow is an off day with an official training session in the morning, then the final race is Tuesday. Hopefully I can hit some targets and put a good race together before flying home on Wednesday.

On a different note, our RNR teammates back in upstate NY had a really good weekend. Yesterday was the Osceola Christmas race (or the "pie" race) - Chad won the open division for the third year in a row and Frenchy won his class as well, both took home pies and pottery. Today, apparently Frenchy beat everyone in all classes for the overall win in a sprint biathlon race (also in Osceola), so it looks as though he's carried some of that triathlon fitness over to the winter despite disappearing from weekend training sessions for the entire fall. He must have been doing some stealth training!

No comments:

Post a Comment