Saturday, December 19, 2009

Race #1 - there's always tomorrow...

So, our first race out in Minnesota could have gone better. I didn't shoot well, and felt a little out of whack skiing, although I felt relatively good aerobically. The course here is never flat and has a lot of turns and transitions, where you can really lose a lot of time if you don't ski those efficiently. Today, I did not ski these sections well at all, probably a combination of it being the first race of the season and having only skied the course a couple times the day before. Everyone other than Jason and I have been here for the last 10 days and could probably ski this blindfolded by now. I also had another racer step on my pole from behind during a steep uphill and somehow I spun around backwards and ended up sliding part of the way back down the hill, so that cost me some time...but, like we used to say in baseball, the good part about a bad day is that you get to show up tomorrow and give it another go. That's not always the case in biathlon, but it is in this case as we race again tomorrow morning, pursuit format (4 shooting stages), so shooting better will be critical tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures from the youth mens race (17-18 years old), who raced after us.



No comments:

Post a Comment