Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Still some work to do

So, last weekend's race went so-so. I felt pretty good overall, but my classic technique was again a limiting factor. Not sure exactly what the issue is, but I just don't feel like I get anywhere near the power or speed when I'm classic skiing compared to skating. Anyways, it's still a work in progress, so I'll keep plugging away at it. I ended up 1:20 behind the winner (Chad again). It's a strange thing classic skiing, but I do enjoy it, even though I feel I should be better at it, so I'll keep trying to improve as I have a couple very big classic races later this winter. I'm not ashamed to say however, that I'm relieved that my next several races will all be on skate skis.

Up next, are three NorAm Cup biathlon races in Jericho, Vermont on 28-30 December. The timing of these races is good and bad. The good part is that I can race in three high-level races at a great venue without having to use any vacation time (we have a shutdown for the holiday week). The bad news is that I'll have to do my best to be disciplined over the next week when it comes to all the holiday meals, parties and other events we have upcoming. I'll have to continuously remind myself of the old adage "there's not much you can do to improve your fitness in a week, but there's a lot of things you can do to hurt it." It shouldn't be too bad though, and I'm definitely looking forward to these races. Following the races, Nancy and I are going to spend New Years up in Vermont with some other friends, so that should be a great opportunity to get in some additional training, while also having some relaxing fun with some close friends in an absolutely beautiful part of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment