Thursday, December 2, 2010

Getting antsy...

This should come as no surprise, since most of my posts over the past month have at least mentioned skiing in one way or another, but I am getting pumped for ski racing to start. I haven't been in a competitive event for about two and a half months. Last fall, I competed in a serious of running races through the fall, but I intentionally did not do any of those this year. Over the spring and summer, I logged a good amount of training and racing (due to more consistent bike racing) and decided to take a break from competition and really try to focus on consistent training. It's been nice to take a break from having my weekly training plan revolve around some type of event. I am also hoping that doing more strength and specific-ski training in the fall will pay dividends this winter (I guess we'll see). For the most part, it has been consistent (with a few hiccups due to workload and travel), and as far as I can tell, things seem to be going well. It's tough to know until you get out there and race though.

This time of year is really tough. Mother Nature seems to be teasing us big time - the weather has went from - windy and cold, to sunny and 55, to pouring rain and 40, to wet snow all in the last week. We now have about an inch of snow sitting on top of semi-frozen ground, which is basically useless. It has, however, eliminated roller skiing as a viable training option, so it's been back to running, bounding, treadmill incline intervals and box-jumps until we get more snow. That routine is getting old, especially when your buddy in Buffalo sends you pictures like this (taken this morning):


Anyways, I'm trying to be patient and I know it's only a matter of days before I'm on skis, and it won't be long before I'll be pinning a race bib on and getting after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment