Monday, January 3, 2011

Vermont update


I didn't have time to make any blog posts since before Christmas, so here's a very quick update. Nancy and I had a great Christmas in Rochester with our families. We managed to see almost everyone, and I managed to wax skis, pack and get in a couple final days of training before heading up to Vermont with Jason for three NorAm Cup biathlon races.

The race series also served as trials races for both the Canadian and US Junior national teams, so there were a lot of junior biathletes, including 9 from New York State. The races went very well all in all. My shooting was sporadic (1 good day, 1 average day and 1 total trainwreck), but considering how little time I spent preparing for the shooting aspect of these races, it wasn't too surprising. I felt pretty strong skiing, and seemed to ski faster as each race went on. This is a very encouraging sign as it shows that I'm able to recover well from racing several days in a row. I also felt so much more relaxed and confident in my own skiing and less concerned with others' skiing. I was able to go to a race with a pretty good field and be aggressive in following and passing fast skiers. Overall, it was a very positive series of races for me and I'm really pumped for the rest of my season.
(Photo courtesy of Sean Halligan)

I owe a huge thanks to the Bradley's, who once again opened up their home to Jason and I and made sure we were well fed. I also want to thank Sean Halligan, Art Stegen and Carl Klossner for the help zero-ing us on the range.

Following the races, Nancy and I met up with some other friends in Stowe, where we hung out until yesterday. I have some great pictures of this leg of the trip that I'll try to post later this week. We skied at the Trapp Family Lodge for a couple days and hung out and relaxed in Stowe. We got home last night and it's back to reality today. With the warm-up in the Northeast, it looks like my next races will be in Lake Placid next weekend for their SuperTour weekend, which will surely be the most competitive XC ski races that I've ever been in, so that will be exciting. Hopefully more pictures and a better recap of Stowe coming soon....


No comments:

Post a Comment