Sunday, August 29, 2010

Whirlwind

Since my last post, it's been go, go, go, full gas. Everything in the last two weeks has been so unique and amazing that each deserves a specific blog post. The problem however, lies in the fact that I haven't quite cracked the code on the creation of a 27 hour day (although I've proposed this several times to the powers that be), and haven't had time to update.

I had a good week in Georgia. I'm always taken aback by the culture of the people in Georgia. Somehow, as very small country sandwiched geographically between so much awfullness (I think I just made that word up), the people of Georgia have sustained a culture that dates back to biblical times, including a unique language and alphabet. They've sustained this culture while being occupied by six different countries. The thing that has always struck me the most is the warmth of the people there. This was my 4th trip to Georgia and there are two very important cultural phenomenons I've picked up on. First, they believe that every minute you spend with family and friends doesn't extend your lifespan, which leads to a lot of long dinners, etc, but it is a great philosophy. I've never heard a Georgian speak of any stupid reality TV show, or TV at all, when you spend time with Georgian, they want to know about YOU and everything you have going on in your life. Which is an incredible breath of fresh air compared to some of the BS we have going on culturally. Second, they trust people until they've given a reason not to. I've read "Three Cups of Tea", of which, the premises is that in Islamic culture, once you have 3 cups of tea with someone, you become part of the family. In Georgia, if you participate in one proper Georgian toast, you are immediately a friend and they will do anything for you. It's very difficult to describe to people how close I've become with several friends in Georgia over the last year. I feel very fortunate to have been exposed to the Georgian culture and I am luckier to have met some of the people I've met there. Here are a couple photos while I was there.
This is Irakli, he's an awesome guy and I consider him a very close friend. In the background, the presidents house is lit up.
This is a shot of an area of Tbilisi that they're currently renovating and making into a commercial section of town.
Here's a closer shot of the old church, which was first opened 1800 years ago (not a typo, OLD), when the capital was moved to Tbilisi.

When I left Tbilisi, I flew direct to Philadelphia. Nancy was going there for a bridal shower for her close friend Natalie. Since, my younger brother John and one of my closest friends Scott both live in the Philly area, I flew there, so I could see them both, Nancy and keep her company on the drive back to Rochester. Friday night, John picked me up at the airport and I went out in Media, PA with him, his new fiancée Theresa and a couple of his buddies. It was a very fun night. Saturday, we got up and headed over to Scott's house for a BBQ with his family and a few of his friends.
Here's a shot of Scott with his 3 month old daughter Adalyn. Didn't get many pictures of Philly, but it was a great weekend.

Following a overly long drive back to Rochester last Sunday, I finally got home. I had a semi-normal, although busy, week at work.

Yesterday was Chad and Libby's wedding. Chad's one of my regular training partners and over the last 3 years, he's quickly become one of my closest friends. Chad and Libby have been dating since high school (and people think Nancy and I took it slow). That included Chad going to Clarkson and Libby going to BC, and yet they made it work and both ended up back in Rochester. Anyways, I couldn't be happier for them. I will say that there were a lot of fast skiers at the wedding. More importantly there was a lot of love all around! Here are some pics from what was an awesome night.
There's the happy couple!!
Here is all of the RNR and SBR attendee's with Chad and Libby. Left to right - Rick, Jason, Frenchy, Libby, Chad, me, Shannon.
Frenchy and his wife Susanna.
Nancy and I.
Rick and Shannon (getting married next fall).
This pic is me and three of Chad's buddies from College. I met Erik (left) at Chad's bachelor party. He's from Norway originally, great guy. These guys all brought their A-Games for Chad's big day, great hanging out with all of them. There was a notable absentee from the Clarkson crowd at the wedding, named Sam. He's a biathlete that we know well and Chad used to live with in college. He's currently serving the Vermont National Guard in Afghanistan. The best man (Chad's brother Derrick) did a great toast which included mentioning Sammy. We're all praying he get's home safe and is kicking our arses again on snow soon!

Overall, it's been an amazing whirlwind!

No comments:

Post a Comment