Saturday, August 7, 2010

What happened, did you go vegan?

That's right everyone, it's a 2-post Saturday...

Funny thing happened on Thursday of this week...

I randomly ran into our trainer from RIT. I hadn't seen her since I graduated and as such, the Marty Maynard she knew was this guy. Nowadays, I where glasses, spend too much time in cubicle land, and when I'm not there, I am usually training for some type of endurance sport, so the version of me that she knew looked like a college baseball player and now I'm a little lighter to say the least.

In any event, she remembered me once she discovered who I was. Her first question upon realizing who I was - "Did you go Vegan?"...really? you think I went vegan? I'm the same person that you once told "don't drink too much whiskey tonight, I gave you a lot of painkillers today."...and now I went vegan? This question irritated me 10 times more than when I get the proverbial "Do you do triathlon?" (different story, but please, just because I do a sport called biathlon, does not make me a triathalete, the two don't even have any disciplines in common)...It did occur to me however, that people might wonder how I went from looking like this:
To this:
The truth is, it was a relatively slow process, and a long story. I always knew, even during college, that I wanted to get into competitive skiing and biathlon again. I never thought that cycling would play a role in that, but it did. Basically, about a year after college I started working out again consistently, and when I finished grad school I started training seriously and here I am going wherever this takes me, but I'm loving it, and am happy training and racing, much happier than I would if I had resigned myself to dominating the beer leagues. Maybe I need challenges...in any event, I didn't go vegan, in fact, I love eating meat.

Tomorrow, I'm heading to Poland, then Georgia. So, it'll be hectic the next couple weeks, but I'm looking forward to it!



No comments:

Post a Comment