Saturday, March 19, 2011

More Utah Pictures


Here are some more pictures from my trip to Utah. Following the two days of Alpine skiing, I put my nordic skis back on for a couple days and actually went snowshoeing the last day we were there. Needless to say, I was physically exhausted when we got on the plane to come home, but it was an awesome trip and an awesome place in the world.
I skied at Alta one day, whose "nordic center" is sort of a joke, but they let me ski anywhere I wanted around the downhill skiers and didn't charge me anything. They basically just told me not to get on any lifts. Despite the trail system being non-existent, the surrounding mountains were pretty epic. It certainly beat doing laps around the north meadow at Mendon Ponds that's for sure.

Here's a picture of me with Solitude in the background. I dropped Jamie off for work (at Solitude) and headed up to Alta, which is about 2 miles further up the Little Cottonwood Canyon.
The following day, I went skiing at Soldier Hollow, which is where all the nordic events were held at the 2002 Olympics. The trails were great and it was about 50F out, so I was skiing in a t-shirt.

This is from the highest point on the course. The area is so wide open that you can almost always see the XC and biathlon stadiums. It was sort of like skiing in a huge bowl.
The last day we were in Utah, I went snow shoeing. We had initially planned on downhill skiing, but ran out of time. My legs were still thrashed from downhill skiing earlier in the week, so I wasn't heart broken. This picture was taken at Solitude.

Pretty awesome scenery, no doubt about that.
Left to right - Jamie, Kevin and I at a pub in downtown SLC.

I'm headed to Romania and Poland this week and am headed out for my first bike ride of the season in a few minutes, so I'm sure there will be plenty of new adventures to come soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Marty! Most East Coast skiers/winter enthusiasts dream of scenery and trails like that!

    ReplyDelete