Friday, May 28, 2010

I'd like to thank 8th graders for being 8th graders

Funny story happened to me yesterday.

So, Wednesday and Thursday of this week I was in Washington, DC for work. We flew out of Rochester at 6am Wednesday and were in meetings all day, then went to a reception held by the Georgian Embassy to celebrate Georgian Independence day, then met one of my college buddies (Kurt) for dinner, so needless to say it was a long day. Obviously, there was no time for working out on Wednesday, but I had planned this and needed a rest day anyways. With all of the racing I've been doing and a total of 5 races next week, I probably shouldn't be doing a lot of training, but I also shouldn't take two days off in a row with nothing at all, so I planned to get up and run Thursday morning. I finally got to bed around midnight Wednesday. After getting up at 4am, it goes without saying that I was running on fumes. My alarm clock went off at 545am, at which point I promptly made the decision to cancel the 6am run and get another 1.5 hours of sleep before our meetings that morning. My justification was that I had been racing and training a lot and maybe sleep would be more beneficial than training, but the truth is, that was a BS excuse and I just didn't want to get out of bed! Little did I know that one of the 8th grade classes staying in my hotel had a different plan for me...At 6:03 AM, the hotel fire alarm went off...sweet, I had just fallen back asleep...I contemplated my options:

- try to sleep through it, this seemed like a decent idea, except I couldn't be sure that it was one of those 8th graders yanking the alarm as part of some triple-dog-dare, and wasn't a real fire. Plus, the alarm was super loud, so actual sleep might be difficult.
- put on clothes and wait outside for the alarm to stop going off, however long that might take
- put on running shoes and execute my original plan

I opted for the run and got in an awesome 1 hour run by the Mall, Korean War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and Jefferson Memorial. I then had an excellent day of meetings and flew home.

I've written on this blog a few times about finding motivation to train by whatever it takes to get you going, but I guess sometimes it also takes some 8th grade punk pulling the fire alarm in your hotel. So, here's to 8th graders acting like 8th graders!

No comments:

Post a Comment