Saturday, October 17, 2009

"Toughness training"

I've read on a few fasterskier blogs recently the term "toughness training" in reference to training in bad weather. I believe the meaning of the term is that training in less than ideal conditions can help with mental toughness, which absolutely is a huge ally to a competitive nordic skier, because it's very rare that the weather and snow conditions on race day are exactly what you were hoping for. I was thinking about this today while doing a 2.5 hour classic roller ski with Jason in 38 degrees/raining weather, and decided that I'd much rather be doing a long workout in those conditions than trying to pound out a decent distance workout running on the treadmill below, which was my nemisis earlier this week in Georgia. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this, but personally, there is no workout that I struggle for motivation with more than cranking out an hour+ on a treadmill by myself. It could also have to do with my less than stellar opinion of mother nature after having played baseball in the Northeast for the first 22 years of my life, there aren't many things she can throw at me that's going to surprise me much!
On another note, still no word on where my bag is and I can't even get anyone at Turkish Air to speak to me. I'm also much more jet-lagged than usual. You'd think I'd have this dialed in by now, but to tell you the truth, I pretty much follow the same process every time for re-adjusting to the 7-8 hour time difference and sometimes I adjust quickly and sometimes I don't, and can't really explain it. Maybe it's like a bad hangover - you can try a bunch of different things, but time is the only thing that's really going to help you. Who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment