Sunday, October 24, 2010

It turns out there's more to this city than traffic jams


I've spent the past week in Bucharest, Romania. I've been here a few times now, but each previous trip had been very much in and out, with no down time. In past trips, my biggest takeaway from the city is that the traffic is AWFUL. There are way too many cars in this city. It literally can take you an hour to drive five miles. However, the last few days have given me a greater appreciation for the city's history and people. Since I'm going to the Ukraine next week, I was here over a weekend, which enabled me to actually experience a little bit of Bucharest's sights. Some of our local partners were gracious enough to show me around the city.

A few days ago we visited the House of Parliament, which is the second largest building in the world (volume-wise) following the Pentagon. It was originally built to be the home of the last communist dictator here. Obviously, he wasn't that popular of a leader considering he built this massive, extravagant building when there were many Romanians struggling to find enough food to survive. Due to this, many Romanians have mixed emotions towards the building. Following the revolution and overthrow in 1989, the government determined it would be cheaper to finish the building than demolish it, so they turned it into the House of Parliament.

Today, I also visited the Museum of Villages in Bucharest. The cultural center replicated authentic houses, art and music from different areas throughout Romania and put them all in one place in central Bucharest. It was very interesting and highlighted Romania's diverse cultures.

Below are some pictures.


This is one of the meeting rooms in the House of Parliament.

This is Bob (a co-worker) and I on one of the many massive hand-made carpets.
This is Alexandra, who works for our local partner, but also played tour guide for Bob and I on this occasion.
The second oldest church in Bucharest.
This picture is from the Museum of Villages. I think they're playing some Transylvanian bluegrass (it sounded like it anyways).

This contraption is what some regions in Romania use to make Palinca (the local moonshine made from plums or apples).
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Here's a close-up shot of the Tomb. They do a ceremonial changing of the guard as well.

Here's the oldest church in Bucharest.
This is Gelu and his family. He also works for our local partner and was my tour guide for the Museum of Villages. Gelu will be visiting Rochester with some customers in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to re-paying some of his hospitality.
Gelu insisted that I take a picture with this woman at the Museum of Villages. She's from Transylvania region. Notice that my hands are placed firmly on all my valuables. I've heard that these folks can be "light fingered".
This is the Revolution Memorial. It's in the middle of Revolution Square and is across the street from where the aforementioned dictator left Romania for the last time via helicopter which signaled the end of the communist times in Romania.

Tomorrow morning I'm flying to Kharkov, Ukraine for a few days, then home later this week. I've never been to Kharkov, so I'm sure it will be a new experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment