Saturday, October 30, 2010

Back in Rochester

As I type this, it's 6am and I've been awake for the last two hours, thanks jet lag.

I made it back to Rochester late Thursday night. It was a good trip to Kharkov, Ukraine, but it's good to be home. It took four flights (which I think is the first time I've had that many flights in one day) and 26 hours to make it home, but everything went relatively smooth all things considered.

I didn't get many pictures from the Ukraine, but here's one of myself, Denis and Voldemar. Denis is originally from the Ukraine, so it was nice to have someone with us with a little local knowledge. This was taken at a restaurant where I ate wild boar, which was very good.

We also had an absurd amount of perogies.

After a couple weeks overseas, where the only English TV channels are usually BBC and CNN worldnews, I'm usually looking forward to watching ESPN when I get home. However, one benefit from the lack of anglo-speaking TV channels is that I do read books when I'm on the road (shocking, I know). I finished an entire book on this trip, which is also a first for me. I read Where Men Win Glory, by John Krakauer. This was the 4th book I've read by Mr. Krakauer and it was an exceptional book about the life of Pat Tillman. Tillman made headlines earlier this decade by choosing to leave the NFL to join the military following the events of 9/11. In 2004, he was tragically killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan. The book traces Tillman's life, which was substantially more complicated than it would seem at first glance, then goes into the decision to leave a life of luxury and happiness, the events that led to his death and a well-researched account of the events following his death where the government attempted to turn his tragic death into positive PR (which is all the more disturbing considering that Tillman refused to give a single interview following his decision to leave the NFL, and by all accounts wanted no attention or special treatment). His journal entries during his time in the military were very interesting and revealing about Tillman's unique outlook on life. It was a very good read, that almost anyone would take something away from.

Anyways, the book report is over. Now it's time to get back into some type of normal routine. It's 38 degrees out right now and I can't wait for the sun to come up so I can go roller skiing. Winter seems to be right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment