Friday, February 26, 2010

Olympic chatter around the water cooler

So, to state the obvious, the US Nordic Combined team has been awesome, and the 1-2 finish yesterday was incredible!
This morning a co-worker of mine, who I've worked with for several years and might have an extremely vague understanding of the skiing that I do, came up to me and said verbatim - "Did you watch that race last night? That was awesome when Demong dropped that Austrian on the last climb! I guess he didn't want to get passed on the last downhill by the Austrians and their fast skis again (reference to the relay)." This guy is a great guy, but an astute endurance sports aficionado, he is not, and to throw out a nordic combined skier's name from memory and use a term like "dropped on the last climb" and remembering that the Austrians seemed to have better glide on the downhills in the relay was impressive, not bad for a Red Sox fan! I was absolutely speechless, I almost didn't know how to respond...I've also heard several people analyzing tactics in skier cross, short track speedskating and just about anything else you can think of that people won't talk about again for four more years.

I also had a conversation with one guy who said something along the lines of "yeah, I hadn't heard much about Bode Miller since he bombed in 2006." Unfortunately, I guess winning world cup overall titles doesn't count for much...

Regardless it's great to hear that people are watching the olympics and it will be a bummer to see the games end (although, my DVR might need a break).

No comments:

Post a Comment