Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Breaking silence

I haven't updated here in a while due to a wide variety of reasons. I've been on the go as usual - in January, I went back and forth to the Netherlands twice and took a quick trip to Prague. This hasn't been a typical winter compared to the last few winters due to the lack of snow - very little racing and a lot of cancellations and scrapped travel plans. I did manage to get in one solid weekend of racing this past weekend in Quebec, which I'll be writing about later this week.

Wait, what's that? I'm considering doing two posts in one week? I haven't posted in over a month? Unfortunately, I have some additional time on my hands as I'm dealing with an injury for the first time since college (also a separate post). It's nothing serious, but I guess it won't get better if I don't rest it. Since sitting still is probably the thing I'm worst at, I'm not really looking forward to this, but maybe I'll finally get past the first two lessons on my Russian Rosetta Stone and update this blog a little more frequently.

I will tell one story in this blog post (which thus far has been about absolutely nothing). About 4 weeks ago, Nancy grandfather sadly passed away. By all accounts, he led an amazing life and will be remembered fondly by anyone that knew him. I'm very thankful that I was able to get to know him over the last ten years and he was able to make it to our wedding to see his grandaughter get married.

On a slightly less serious note, he also loved to wear bowties and owned like 50 different bowties. His memorial service was in northern Virginia two weekends ago, and as a tribute, several of his family members wore bowties to the gathering. I was flying home from Europe (the Paris airport was an entirely different adventure) and flew into Washington Reagan airport about 1pm. Nancy's father and brother picked me up at the airport, threw a cup of coffee in me and I was at the memorial service wearing a bowtie (only because Nancy's brother knows how to tie one) within 60 minutes of touch down. Touch-down to bow tie in 60 minutes, that has to be a record.
The bowtie adds a very distinguished look if you ask me.

More to follow later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment