Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Life is going faster than a Hackensaw Boys song...

Let's hope my skiing this winter continues with the trend of life in general these days, in that everything seems to be going faster and faster...somehow it's already the end of July and fall is right around the corner.

Typically, things are a little slower at work over the summer since most of my customers tend to take long vacations for 4-6 weeks. Not so this year, as this has easily been the busiest July I can remember from a work perspective. It's all been very good stuff for business purposes, but there's certainly hasn't been the usual "deep breath" that we typically get in July. I'm not sure if this is coincidence or a sign that the economic slow down in Europe is improving, let's hope for the latter, but I'll leave that speculation to the "experts".

Things outside of work seem to be just as hectic, but also great stuff. It seems like every weekend there has been some type of event to attend, but I've also been busy riding, roller-skiing and watching the Tour De France (if you've never given the TDF a chance as a follower, I highly recommend it, it's a lot more interesting than you'd think and the Versus commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Scherwin can add drama to almost anything). I managed to log more hours training in the last four weeks than any other 4-week block since I started keeping a training log, including several 4-5 hour rides, something I'd never previously done with any real consistency. So hopefully the extra volume will pay off down the road.

This weekend I'll be racing in the Tour of the Catskills, which is a 3-day stage race in the Catskills region (not just a clever nickname). It will feature a lot of climbing, with some long, sustained climbs, which is very different from the terrain found near the Finger Lakes region that we typically spend our time riding in. Although I'll be missing the final stage to come back for a wedding in Canandaigua which Nancy is involved in, I'm looking forward to the races in any event. Our field will be very big, but almost the whole team is racing and I think that we're all in pretty good shape right now, and should be able to be in the mix throughout the weekend. The wedding should be a lot of fun as well.

Following this weekend's activities, I'll be in Rochester for another week then I head to Poland and Georgia for a 2-week work trip, which will include a little bit of everything, including a race called the "Slave Run" over the weekend that I'm in Poland (that'll be a full blog post for sure). Following that, I'll be headed to Philadelphia for a weekend to see my younger brother (who just got engaged!) and Scott. So, it'll be Labor Day before I know it. So, life is moving pretty quickly, but the next few months should be pretty exciting!

Note - Just to explain the title - If you've never heard of the Hackensaw Boys, they play gnarly bluegrass really, really fast. If there is a world record for most notes played in a 90 second song, they must have the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment