Saturday, March 20, 2010

The first-day-of-sunshine-and-above-50-temp phenomenon

Ok, so I need a better name for this phenomenon, but every March/April/May (whenever mother nature decides to give it to us), people seem to come out of the woodwork for the first couple days of decent weather. All of a sudden, sidewalks and trails in local parks are crowded, dogs are being walked and baby strollers are being pushed. People leave their cubicles at lunch and eat outside or walk around the block. When I was at RIT, this was usually a day to go directly home from baseball practice, fire up the grill and worry about that pesky homework tomorrow. I think some people are getting fresh air for the first time in several months on these days, and they're happy about it! People are in good moods when this phenomenon occurs, only because of good weather. In a month, they will likely be back inside on a similar weather day, but it's great to see people outside getting fresh air and enjoying being outside.

So, this phenomenon came early this year, as it was in the mid-60's for four days this week. I am out of ski races to compete in this winter, so, the warm weather was welcome and has enabled me to mix up my workout regiment a little. This past week I rode my new bike a couple times (awesome!), did some trail running and got in an awesome ski in shorts on the man-made snow at bristol mountain.

Next week it'll probably rain/snow/sleet and be windier than chicago on steroids, but this past week was awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment